Frequently Asked Questions

This is a listing of our most frequently asked questions. Please contact us if you have any additional questions and we will be happy to help.


What is Jordan Valley Water Conservancy District?

Jordan Valley Water Conservancy District is a political subdivision of the State of Utah. It was created in 1951 under the Water Conservancy Act. For more information, visit the about section of this site.

Is Jordan Valley Water part of West Jordan City?

No. Though our offices are located in West Jordan at 8215 South 1300 West, Jordan Valley Water was organized by the Utah State Legislature. It is primarily a wholesaler of water, serving much of Salt Lake County.

Where can I find Jordan Valley Water Conservancy District in the phone book?

Jordan Valley Water is located in two places in the white pages: the government section under Special Districts and in the business section alphabetically.

Where and when are board meetings held?

Board meetings are held in West Jordan at 8215 South 1300 West. View our calendar for dates and times.

How can I get a job with Jordan Valley Water?

Visit our employment page for information.

Customer Service and Billing

How can I speak to a manager?

Jordan Valley Water is staffed by many divisions that have differing roles and responsibilities. Call our main office at 801-565-4300, explain what you need, and we will then transfer you to the appropriate person.

What are your hours of operation?

Hours of operations: Monday through Friday 8 am to 5 pm. We are closed for all major holidays. To see a list of those holidays, go to the customer service page.

Why is my bill so high?

There could be many reasons. Please call Customer Service to discuss your usage. Jordan Valley Water can create a service order to have your meter checked for problems, at no cost to you.

What does the “non-pumped” or “pumped” water charge mean on my bill?

Some areas of Jordan Valley Water's retail system are delivered water that does not need to be pumped to reach the elevation of the customers’ homes. They are billed at the “non-pumped” rate. Other areas require water be pumped to the elevation of their homes. They are billed at the “pumped” rate.

How can I pay my water bill?

Jordan Valley Water accepts credit cards, checks, cash (pay at the office—please do not mail cash), cashier’s checks, money orders, or payments made at a designated Automated Clearing House.

How often is my meter read?

To the extent possible, water meters are read each month, and corresponding bills are sent to customers for that month’s water use. However, this interval may change under special circumstances or situations.

When is my bill estimated?

Jordan Valley Water may estimate your water usage—based on past usage patterns—whenever it is difficult for meter readers to access your meter, such as after a heavy snowstorm.

When is my bill due?

Payments are due the 17th of each month.

What is the flat fee on the bill every month/what is your fee schedule?

Jordan Valley Water charges a flat fee based on the size of your meter. Rates for water use, based on our fee schedule, accumulate in addition to the flat fee. You can find those details on the Water Rate Information page.

Can I get a new garbage can?

Jordan Valley Water is a wholesaler of water. You will need to call your waste services provider.

Water Quality and Storage

Why do you fluoridate our drinking water?

State law only allows fluoride to be added into drinking water in counties that voted for it. In 2000, Salt Lake County residents voted to have it added. It is now mandated that we add it to our water supplies. You can contact the Salt Lake Valley Health Department directly at 801-313-6600 with more questions.

What is the hardness of my water?

170mg/L or 10 grains per gallon.

My water is cloudy or brown. What do I do?

Cloudy (milky or whitish) water is caused by air in the line. You can run a faucet in an upstairs bathroom for a few minutes to see if it clears, but air in water usually resolves itself over time.

Brown or reddish water is caused when sediment in the pipeline is stirred up, usually from a main line break. Flush the lines in your home by letting them run until the water is clear.

How can I find out what is in my drinking water?

Water quality information can be found on our website in the Water Information section.

How do I store my water for emergencies?

Emergency water storage information can be found by viewing the "Emergency Water Storage" page in the Water Information section.

Conservation Garden Park

When is the Garden Park open?

Summer Hours (open Mon-Sat) May 1 to Sep 30, 8am to 8pm
Winter Hours (open Mon-Fri) Oct 1 to Apr 30, 8am to 5pm

Do I need to check in or pay to visit the Garden Park?

No, the Conservation Garden Park is open to the public at no charge. You may visit during our hours of operation (see above) for a self-guided tour, or call the Garden directly to set up a tour for a large group.

Can I buy plants at Jordan Valley Water?

Plants are available for sale at our Plant Sale events through participating vendors, but plants are not available for purchase otherwise. Visit for more details.

Business Resources

How can I get the results of a bid proposal?

All bid proposal results are posted on our web site. Please view our projects page. Any additional questions can be emailed by using our contact form and selecting "Engineering Projects" as the subject.

Join our email list

Join our email list to receive emergency communications, water tips, and our Water Quality Report.